Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Young voters, unite!

They let a newborn cast two ballots. When did we move to Florida?

My original due date was June 9, which is tomorrow. One reason I wanted to arrive early was so I could participate in my first election today. California hasn't quite worked out the absentee voting system for fetuses yet.

My parents and I went to the local polling place to drop off their mail ballots. They usually vote in person, but they requested mail ballots this time because they weren't sure when I was going to arrive. They still got to visit the polling place because they hadn't mailed their ballots yet. I think they wanted to absorb every last commercial and robocall before making up their minds. Plus, you never know if Kevin McCarty is going to send you one more reusable grocery bag or Patrick Kennedy one more dog magnet that could tip the scales in their favor.

This election is a real snoozer.

The poll workers were amused by my budding interest in democracy. I even got an "I Voted" sticker, though I didn't actually vote. (Don't tell the Secretary of State's Office about that.)

Still, I would say I was more informed than much of the electorate, even at 6 days old. Here's what the campaign sounded like from the womb:

thump-thump, thump-thump, Liberal Steve Poizner, thump-thump, thump-thump, Meg Whitman loves Schwarzenegger, thump-thump, thump-thump, gurgle, I'm Steve Poizner, and I will join a militia and burn gay marriage certificates to get your vote.

On second thought, I came out early for this? I sure hope campaigns are more reasonable by 2028.

No comments:

Post a Comment