Friday, June 11, 2010

REM is not just a band



When I'm not writing the blog or eating, I sleep.

So you've seen pictures of me sleeping on top of my grandparents, like I did yesterday with Grandpa Yamamura in Roseville. Sleeping in my bouncer. Sleeping in my car seat. Sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep.

Don't call me lazy. (I prefer Finn, thank you.) I'm just nine days old.

But even sleep can be interesting. Here's a helpful guide to my sleep patterns:

Deep Sleep: This is the kind my parents love. They can pretty much do anything to me, and I won't bat an eye. I once woke up from this state and found that somebody had filed down my fingernails. Another time, someone short-sheeted my bassinet (my friends can be such pranksters).

Active Sleep: My mom and dad start getting comfortable because they think I'm in a deep sleep, which would allow them to go to bed. But then I twitch and open my eyes and make funny sounds, all of which makes them nervous. Especially at 2 a.m.

Food Coma Sleep: The only thing I like better than sleep is eating. So after a good meal with mommy, I nod off pretty quickly. This inevitably leads to deep sleep. It's like that feeling you probably get after a Thanksgiving meal. Except I experience it every three hours and I don't get to watch a parade or Dallas Cowboys football game.

Steam Vent Sleep: Picture a volcano. All of a sudden, steam begins to emerge. Before you know it, a full-blown eruption occurs and lava -- or aa, as I like to say -- starts flowing out. This state of sleep is a lot like the early part of a volcanic eruption. My mouth begins to pucker. My face starts turning red. My head starts bobbing around. And my parents duck for cover (or at least try to find my breastfeeding pillow). They know what comes next -- an all out crying explosion.

2 comments: