Coincidence? I think not.
The Slugs are the co-ed city "D" league softball team that my Dad formed eight years ago with a few of his co-workers at the newspaper. The team has undergone a bunch of changes over the years as good friends have come and gone, but the Slugs continue to field a great group of people. I was there rooting for them Thursday with Mommy, who remains sidelined on the maternity list. Sorry, Mom.
It was a tense game against the league leaders, Lookin' to Score. I'm told that's supposed to be funny for some reason, but nobody will tell me why. I did notice one guy from that team had a shirt with an owl on it that said "Hooters," so I guess he likes nocturnal animals. They had another guy who must really like to run fast because he had this shirt that said "Hustler."
My Dad was once a sportswriter, so he's taught me a few things about the trade. Here's my attempt to capture the game:
By Finn YamamuraWe went to my favorite pizza place, Luigi's, after the game. It's the only pizza place I've ever been to. It was really loud in there, but everyone seemed happy. I was fortunately facing away from the television, so I didn't have to watch the Giants lose another game.
Finnatics Staff Writer
The Slugs jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead but then fell behind 5-3 heading into the last two innings. The Slugs were playing well, pitcher Erin was really dealing, but a couple bad plays and well-timed hits for the Lookin' to Score team put the Slugs behind.
(An aside: Dad needs to learn how to throw better, although Grandma says he always had throwing issues when he played shortstop and second base in Little League. I just hope it is not genetic.)
Dad got the rally started by slicing a single to right and then heading to second base when the outfielder mishandled the ball. But when Dad rounded first, I had to turn away, because this guy twice his size blocked him. Dad tried to shove him out of the way and was just barely thrown out at second. But the umpire called him safe because of obstruction.
Then the Slugs really got it going when Dan walked and Erin walked, and Ahmed drove in my Dad and Dan to tie the game. I forget how they scored the game-winning run because I was being burped. Then the Slugs held Lookin' to Score scoreless the next two innings, and the game was over.


Way to go Slugs! Keep it up! Congratulations!
ReplyDelete