

I didn't post the last few days because we headed out to Point Reyes for some cooler weather and our first real family vacation. Point Reyes is one of my parents' favorite places on Earth. I would say the same goes for me, but pretty much every place I've been to is one of my favorite places on Earth since I haven't been to all that many places.
We stayed in a little house called Honeybee Cottage just outside the park in Olema. It was across the street from the campground where Dad used to go to running camp when he was a high-school cross-country runner. We obviously stayed in a cottage because Mom and Dad are loud people and they didn't want to disturb other vacationers. I'm sure that's why. It couldn't have been because of me, seeing as though I'm perfect.
Anyway, we got out there on Saturday afternoon and had a little picnic at the Bear Valley Trailhead. Then we walked on the Earthquake Trail, which is a short pathway explaining something called an earthquake. From what I gather, the feeling during an earthquake is a lot like when Dad bounces with me on the exercise ball.
There was mention on a trail sign of this huge earthquake in 1989 in the Bay Area. Mom was in her middle-school locker room when that earthquake hit. Dad and Grandpa Yamamura were at this giant concrete outdoor building where people were supposed to play baseball in something called the World Series. The Giants were in it, but Dad doesn't want to talk about it much for some reason.
On Sunday, we went on the big adventure of the weekend, the Arch Rock hike. My friends Sarah and Noel were out there holding their own cross-country running camp because they coach at this high school in Livermore. They passed us on the trail like a blur. A couple hours later, Mom, Dad and I finally made it out to Arch Rock and had lunch. The big milestone was that I saw the ocean for the very first time. It sounded really familiar because I go to sleep each night listening to ocean waves in my room. There's a big ocean outside our house, I guess.

Today, we went on one more hike out to Coast Camp. We saw the ocean again, except this time we actually got to see it up close on a beach. This is actually the third time I've done this hike. In December, Mom went with her friends Jim and Ellen on a backpacking trip (boy was I ever glad when Mom took off that backpack hip belt; it was cramping my womb space). Then in April, Mom, Dad and Grandpa Jim did this hike. Mom was breathing a little heavier than today from what I recall.
After the hike, we went to Point Reyes Station, which is a tradition for Mom and Dad. They always go to the Bovine Bakery to get a post-hike snack and coffee and then swing through Point Reyes Books. We drove home and only had to stop once at a Vista Point in between Novato and Vallejo because I was crying. I was sad because we had to leave Point Reyes, obviously.




No comments:
Post a Comment